ControllerApply Now Back to Careers
Job Title: Controller
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Salary/Exempt
Summary: The Controller is responsible for all corporate accounting activities and functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting policies and procedures and internal control over financial and regulatory reporting, overseeing the accounting close and consolidation process, regulatory reporting, and partners with and advises business lines and other corporate functions on significant accounting matters. Manages the daily operations of the accounting staff and provides sufficient guidance and training to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet the Bank’s goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the development, implementation, and effective administration of accounting, tax, and reporting policies to ensure consistency and compliance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP). Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Serve as primary resource to research, evaluate, and resolve complex technical accounting and reporting issues.
- Manages the month-end, quarter-end and year-end closes.
- Oversees the preparation and review of monthly and quarterly financial statements and other financial reports. Prepares and oversees regulatory filings including quarterly call reports. Manage all company-related payables and receivables. Maintain all accounting records and issue regular reports (monthly, quarterly, and annually) to the executive team and all related entities.
- Prepares the annual budget for the Bank and reviews and reports on monthly budget to actual and net income projections to management.
- Reviews and reconciles various data and accounts contained in the Bank’s general ledger and various other financial reports to ensure accuracy and reasonableness of recorded financial transactions and that the transactions booked meet Bank’s policies/procedures, regulatory requirements, U.S. GAAP and IRS guidelines.
- Oversees Gulf Capital Bank’s Allowance for Loan and Lease Losses methodology, calculations, and reporting.
- Manages the daily Core Accounting Functions-General Ledger, Chart of accounts and cost centers, Accounts Payable, Bank Reconciliations, Internal Control Function, and Fixed Assets, including compliance with bank policies and application of GAAP accounting.
- Coordinates tax reporting to assure tax compliance and timely completion of all returns (Property, Real Estate, Income, Sales and Use).
- Manages and prepares the investment entries and reconciliation of the Bank’s investment portfolio between the general ledger and investment statements.
- Prepares financial related investor relations reports and documents.
- Gathers and prepares information for audits and examinations by Regulators and Auditors as needed. Assists the CFO in the preparation of the annual financial report and other regulatory filings. Provides management with timely reviews of organization’s financial status and progress in its various programs and activities; Prepare annual operating and capital budgets for internal use.
- Responsible for vendor management including vendor due diligence, contract maintenance, compliance, and recurring analysis of cost efficiencies with vendors. Establishes relations with banks and other financial institutions; Arranges for audits of company’s accounts. Manage all cash transfers between entities.
- Participates in a wide variety of special projects and compiles special reports as needed.
- Establishes relations with banks and other financial institutions; Arranges for audits of company’s accounts. Manage all cash transfers between entities.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related discipline from four-year college or university; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience in Finance, Accounting or a related field.
- 7 to 10 years of previous experience in an accounting, financial reporting or controller role in a regional bank or experience in the banking and financial services group of a top-tier public accounting firm.
- Extensive knowledge of financial reporting, US GAAP, and internal control processes.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Leadership experience in organizing, planning, and executing projects.
- Strategic thinking and leadership experience with an emphasis on relationship management and communication at all levels within an organization. Facilitate and coordinate multiple deadlines, create cohesive teams, and respond quickly to management requests.
- Ability to stay knowledgeable about, research, and reach well-reasoned conclusions on technical ac-counting issues.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Certified Public Accountant preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of:
- Accounting Software (such as Hyperion Enterprise; Intuit QuickBooks ; Sage 50 Accounting; Tax software)
- Spreadsheet Software (such as Microsoft Excel)
- Data base/Query Software (such Data entry software; FileMaker Pro; Microsoft Access; Yardi)
- Financial Analysis Software (such as Microsoft FRx; Oracle E-Business Suite Financials; Oracle Hyperion Planning)
- ERP Software (Exact Software Macola ES; Microsoft Dynamics; Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne; SAP)
Physical Demands and Work Environment The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.